5.04.2008

Earth Day

Obviously Earth Day has come and gone, but I like to think we celebrate Earth Day everyday here....

This year I took Jack and Anna to Laudholm Farm's Earth Day Celebration. We are so lucky to live near this beautiful farm, a part of the Wells Reserve. When I was in High School I participated in something called "Meatloaf," a play on the popular "Breadloaf" in Vermont. High School students interested in writing were selected and paired with Elementary age students and we took a bus to Laudholm Farm. We were allowed to roam the farm and pick an inspiring spot to write. We could write about anything but all of the stories, poems, everything seemed to take a hint from our environment around us. There are many trails and little paths, footbridges, hills, little grassy open spaces where deer probably sleep, beach roses and many other native flowers peeking out from everywhere. At the end of our writing time we would follow the trail down to the beach and have a picnic lunch and share what we had written. I love remembering that time whenever we visit the farm. John and I skied the trail down to the beach this winter and the kids and I walked down on this day. Jack was thrilled there was a beach at the end of the long trail but I will say the walk back was brutal. Anna had missed her nap and was exhausted, Jack was tired from all the walking and running and the sun was beating down on all of us. Let's just say I got a fantastic work out on the way back up!


This was a demonstration about runoff put on by some very nice AmeriCorps members. Since I feel a sisterhood with any AmeriCorps project we had to stop. Jack drew a little crowd as he was selected to dump the pesticides (salt and pepper), animal manure (cinnamon) and some other things onto the simulated farm. Then he sprayed water to act as rain to demonstrate how our water sources become polluted. There was another clever little demonstration with rubber ducks that drew a crowd too but we didn't get pictures of that one.

Our walk down to the beach. I don't think I will ever get tired of taking pictures of the kids at the beach.

No comments: