4.16.2008

"The Fire"

Jack's first publication, with many more to come.... I can't wait! These are all Jack's exact words as he told them to me. He was actually doing some business in the bathroom (sorry! It's true though...) and he called me in.
"Mom!"
"What?"
"Yesterday there was a fire at Ava's house!"
"Well, that was actually about 6 months ago, but that's a good memory you have!" (It's true, he is always surprising us with what he remembers.)
hen I asked him, "Do you want to tell me the story of the fire at Ava's house?"
"Yes! Yes! Yes!"He said, so I ran and got paper and a pencil and a clipboard and sat myself on the edge of the bathtub while Jack dictated. If, by chance, Jack is one day a very famous author I'm sure he will KILL me for telling everyone this.

Anyway, here is his story, I'm going to get it reduced, copied and bound this weekend.


THE FIRE
By: Jack S.(first letter, F, then i, next is the E, then the R, which he tried lowercase, then uppercase and it actually came out more like an A.)

Yesterday there was a fire in the woods at Ava's house.
The fire was red and white.


It was right across the street. I saw it out the window.
(the fire, it was off to the left and there is a fence in front of the wooded area where the fire was. I believe the fence is depicted by all of the lines on the right.)


And then the Fire Chief put it out.

I was so impressed the way he drew this. He drew the steering wheel (left, with a horn in the center) then the seat where the Fire Chief is sitting, with his arms outstretched, pants, jacket and a hat, then lights on top of the fire truck.


(the fire truck, two wheels on bottom, lights on top and a steering wheel in between the two wheels. He mentioned something about hoses but didn't point them out specifically.)

Ava has a smoke "teckter." We have two smoke "teckter's."
(the two smoke detectors)


THE END
We'll begin taking orders next Monday, extra fee for autographing, of course.


The author, age 3 1/2

**I guess I should also explain the backstory: our neighbors (his "best friend" Ava's family) dumped some ashes from their woodstove on the side of their house, a small woody area, and apparently they were a little too hot and they had been dumped on top of a bunch of leaves and brush. They were woken up in the middle of the night by another neighbor leaving for work who called to say they had a fire in their yard. They immediately went out and used their hose to put the fire out. The next day it was still smoldering a little and then the warm sun came out and the fire started up again. Neither one was home but another neighbor driving by called the Fire Department at about the same time that we noticed smoke in their yard. We ran across the street to see what it was and Jack, though he was told to stay in the house, ran out behind us, (in his bare feet as he reminded me today!) and apparently it made quite an impression on him. The Deputy Fire Chief had come in his pickup truck and was using their hose to put it out while we tried to contact them to come home to put it out. Anyway, everything was fine, thankfully it didn't go any further.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um...I think he'll kill you for telling this REGARDLESS of whether or not he becomes a very famous author!