11.26.2007

Make Believe

This is such a fun stage with Jack. Most of the time when he is playing these days he is in a make-believe world. This morning while he was eating his oatmeal he had to have his two big dinosaurs at the table with him. He was saying, “No Mommy!” and I looked over and said, “No what?” He said, “Not YOU Mommy, I was talking to the dinosaur.” Oh! Right! He will play by himself at his doll house for long periods of time, using his cars, his “suitcase” full of people and his blocks and make up stories and elaborate dialogue. I usually lurk around the corner so I can hear him without him seeing me.


This past Sunday morning Jack and I were playing with his pirate ship. He told me the pirate ship had a cold and didn’t feel very well. I said we had better get his doctor’s kit out. He insisted I wear a stethoscope, “the white one,” and he did too. We gave the pirate ship medicine, listened to its heart, and then Jack looked up at me and said, “Oh no Mommy! I think the pirate ship has a Beaver!” I cracked up, laughing so hard, but he just kept playing along.

We had to cut the anchor with these scissors. Jack said, "Mama, ask me what shape these scissors make when I close them!"


No comments: